This building complex is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as a contributing property to Rupert's Historic District. The corner property was originally occupied by Smiths Meat Market. The dining room is part of the oldest continuously standing building on the Rupert Square. The property was initially a barber shop from 1906-1909. Replaced in 1909 by the Commercial Bank, operations soon out-grew the two story brick building. The handsome terra cotta successor was completed in February, 1917 on the corner of 6 th and F Street, by then called the Rupert First National Bank. The majestic Wilson Theater soon followed in 1920. The "old" bank building was being used as a soda fountain & candy shop by the early 20's. It later was converted to a restaurant, operated by Fred Dickson and owned by Anton Snyder. He and his wife Alvaretta resided in the apartment upstairs by the mid 30's. Its later uses included Tyer's Jewelry, Lowell's Shoes, a pool room, a craft shop, and a banquet room.
The "new" bank building continued in operation as Rupert First National until 1923, when a run on the local banks caused both the Rupert First National and the Rupert State Bank to close their doors to depositors. Later that year, a group of local citizens led by A. F. Beymer & Henry Creason formed the Minidoka State Bank and took over the assets of Rupert State Bank, with Beymer assuming duties as the bank manager. In 1929 the Minidoka State Bank was acquired by First Security Bank which retained Beymer as manager. In 1937 Idaho First National (which had taken over Rupert State Bank on the other end of the block) acquired the assets of First Security in Rupert in exchange for its branch assets in Emmett, Idaho. The operations were then consolidated in the Idaho First National building at the south end of the block, and the corner building was sold to Tony Snyder for $10,500.
Upon acquiring the corner bank building, Snyder & Dickson refurbished the entire ground floor including a "special club dining room" in the back portion of the building, where real estate offices of French & Friesen and N.K. Jensen had been located. An opening in the party wall behind the vault provided access to the kitchen facilities. In 1942 Dickson's cafe had run into financial difficulties and its operating equipment was repossessed by Snyder who reopened the cafe with his wife. It continued to operate as a restaurant and supper club, under various operators including Bruce Rodgers, Kurt & Marge and "Cousin" Roy Bullen. The upstairs offices were used by lawyers, doctors, dentists and other businesses until the 1970's. The building became known as the Drift Inn in 1963 when it was taken over and completely refurbished by Ray & Thelma Ennis, and their daughter Shirley. Thelma's recipe for finger steaks became a local favorite, prepared by their cook, George Voss. It was operated by relatives of the Ennis family until 2004 when it was purchased by Charlie & Lori Creason.
Henry's at the Drift Inn is named in honor of Henry Vernon Creason, a prominent local attorney who arrived in Rupert in 1919 to begin the practice of law. He was born in Star, Idaho in 1894 where he grew up and met his future wife, Alice. He graduated from the University of Idaho in 1916. He maintained an office in the second story of the building during the early 1920's eventually moving his law practice to the Idaho First National building on 5 th street in the early 50's. H.V. or "Hank" as he was fondly called, is reputed to be responsible for the importation of the Rupert squirrels and the brown trout in Lake Walcott. He served as Minidoka County Prosecutor, Rupert City councilman, and held many other civic and community jobs. For years he was known as "Chuck Wagon Hank" at the 4 th of July Jamboree. He retired from the practice of law in 1976, and passed away in 1988 at the age of 93. Henry was fond of telling his dinner hosts "best meal I ever had." We hope you feel the same!